Hello!

Welcome to 'One year to go...'! This is my story of our trip up the aisle starting with all the planning and a year to go!

Sunday 17 April 2011

Mr & Mrs Crofts' Candy Store...

Now all the 'big stuff' is sorted we've been busy thinking, designing and then creating all the little bits to add the final details to our big day.

Our latest creation is the sweet shop sign for Mr & Mrs Crofts' Candy Store! And I LOVE it! It's not very often that I actually love something I've created...I'm my own worst critic and H2B is always telling me I'm far too hard on myself! Not this time though and I'm very proud to show you this along with a bit of a tutorial so you can make one too!

To make it I used...
  • A1 frame
  • acrylic paints in turquoise, cerise, purple, orange & lime
  • silver glitter card
  • silver paper
  • card in turquoise, cerise, purple, orange & lime
  • pencil
  • ruler
  • silver permanent marker
  • scissors
I started off by removing the board from the frame and marking out the stripes in random widths...

 Once this was all done (be patient - it does take a while but well worth it to get everything lined up correctly) I began to paint the stripes in our chosen colours in a completely random pattern. Our theme for the day is black, white & silver stars but for the evening we want a real party feel...


 Once I'd finished painting all the stripes I wasn't happy with the not so straight edges (yep I realise it's really hard to paint freehand straight edges but it wasn't the look I wanted - H2B said it made it look more authentic...I wasn't convinced!) So, I bought a broad silver permanent marker pen and using a ruler ruled off each stripe (top tip - make sure you wipe the ruler on a tissue in between each line otherwise it will mark your work) so it looked like this...
 I then set about sticking the letters to the big blue stripe across the middle...
 I made the letters by choosing a font I liked on the computer and then printing them off in the relevant sizes. I then traced them off onto silver glitter card and cut them all out by hand..long process but worth it! I then mounted these onto card in the co-ordinating colours and cut round them again. I finally mounted these again onto silver paper and cut round those to give the finished look.

And there you have it...our very own sweet shop sign!

What do you think?

Ooh and as I promised in an earlier post...
 The finished table plan!! I quite like this too! ; ) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment